What Is Neuro-Linguistic Programming?Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is a technique used to help people gain control over their mental processes, emotional health and behaviors. It may sound overly complex, but it can be broken down into three simple elements:
- Neurology refers to the inner-workings of the brain.
- Linguistic means language – the way you talk to yourself and others.
- Programming refers to the application of new techniques to create change in your life.
How Is Neuro-Linguistic Therapy Used?Due to the varying interpretations of NLP, it can be hard to define. In therapeutic sessions, neurolinguistic programming relies on the conscious use of language to bring about change. In therapy, for example, a practitioner may use NLP techniques to identify your sensory bias to help encourage changes in thought and behavior.
For instance, an NLP practitioner may interpret you repeatedly saying, “I see what you mean” as a bias towards a visual PRS (preferred representational system). Saying “I hear your point” may lead your therapist to identify an auditory PRS, and so on. An NLP therapist will then use this insight to build a therapeutic framework that helps you move closer to your goals.
Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Aims, Benefits and TechniquesThe aim of NLP is to help you reach a personal goal, such as overcoming a phobia or becoming more confident at work. Neuro-linguistic techniques can be applied to a number of situations and problems, so the outcome of therapy will be different for everyone.
- Rapport: the therapist matches the client’s physical behaviors to improve empathy and build a connection
- Anchoring: anchoring positive sensory experiences to certain triggers
- Switch pattern: changing patterns of undesired behavior to achieve a desired outcome
- Visual/kinesthetic dissociation: working to remove negative thoughts and emotions associated with past events
- Can help you achieve work-related goals
- Increases confidence
- Encourages reflection, confidence and communication
- Can help you work towards specific goals
- Encourages personal development